Follow appetiteofdest on Twitter

Monday 23 August 2010

VEGAN chicken wings for Aaron

Hallo there.
I was at All Tore Up the other week. It's on the first Saturday of each month at Blackfriars in Glasgow. Check it out at:



www.myspace.com/alltoreupglasgow
www.myspace.com/alltoreuprecords


It is a fantastically beeboppity, rockabilly, soultastic extravaganza.
I always have sore legs and a sore bum the day after All Tore Up. I think it's from my bad dancing skills. That and I have weak ankles cos I'm old. But the music is so good that it's hard to tare yourself away from the dance floor(unless I need to go to the bar that is).
Anyhoo. Aaron is one of the lovely guys who run the night and I was gibbering away to him about my blog. Telling him he should try my chicken wings.

Well! Aaron is vegan so I promised that I would do a wee recipe for him.

Look Aaron here's a REAL chicken wing



Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So here you are Aaron. Thanks for the tunes and mind to tell your wife to try out my Cocktails. I promise she won't be disappointed.

Oh, here is a picture of Aaron with my twinny twin twin. I have no idea what she is doing.




Vegan SOUL Fried Chicken with German style coleslaw

Serves 2

Ingredients

For the tofu

1 block smoked tofu (I like Engine Shed best) Cut into thick slices
200g plain flour
half tsp dried thyme
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch ground ginger
pinch white pepper
half tsp nori flakes
pinch salt
small carton unsweetened soy milk

Sunflower or vegetable oil for frying

For the coleslaw

quarter white cabbage sliced into fine strips
1 tsp caraway seeds
3 tbsp white wine or cider vinegar
1 tbsp white sugar
half red onion sliced fine
half tsp salt

Make the coleslaw the night before.

Mix the vinegar, water and sugar together and stir till sugar has dissolved.
Toast the caraway seeds lightly in a dry pan on medium heat. Mix all the ingredients together, cover and put in the fridge overnight.

For the tofu

Mix the flour, thyme, cayenne, white pepper, ginger, nori and salt together and put into a shallow dish or plate.
Put the soy milk into a shallow dish and place some kitchen paper onto a plate.

Dip the tofu slices into the soy milk then into the flour mix. Repeat again so you have a nice thick coating.

Fill a frying pan one third full with sunflower or vegetable oil and set onto a medium heat.
To test if the oil is hot enough put a little of the flour mix into the pan. If it starts to bubble then the oil is ready.

Place your tofu slices in a single layer and cook for 2 - 3 minutes on eat side till nice and golden.

Drain onto the kitchen paper.

Serve with the coleslaw.
You can use this recipe too for aubergine (cut into thin slices), courgette, tomatoes, okra, hell anything you want.

Oh yeah. Have any of you guys seen the film "Wolfhound"? It's awesome.



Well, me and Arlene saw this guy at All Tore Up a few months ago. No joke. Although he was a bit shorter. Maybe he just looks taller on screen.
I think wolfhound was taking a little break from protecting maidens and slaying mystical beings to have a wee dance. Heroes need some R and R too ya'know.

No comments:

Post a Comment